School board approves hiring of education workers | News, Sports, Jobs

The Minot Public School Board on Tuesday unanimously approved the use of federal COVID-19 emergency relief funds to hire six education workers who will help elementary students catch up to skills they may have lacked. ‘learn in the past year.

Superintendent Mark Vollmer said his goal is to hire already experienced teachers for the positions. The teachers will be assigned to different elementary schools in the district and will report to Vollmer and the Deputy Superintendent. Tracey Lawson. Children will be assessed and some will be removed from their classrooms at certain times of the week to receive additional help from interventionists on skills they need more work on. The district already has similar positions funded by Federal Title I dollars and “Similar programs” in other elementary schools, but more children will be eligible for assistance from education workers due to program rules.

Federal funding will be used to fund interventionists for two years, but teachers who are hired for these positions will be guaranteed positions in the district at their old salaries at the end of the two years. Every effort will be made to return them to their former teaching posts, at the same grade level they previously taught.

Almost $ 1 million of federal funding received by the district is expected to go to interventionists.

Vollmer said it’s important to help children catch up when they are young, as academic difficulties can worsen over time.

The district will review a tutoring program for middle and high school children, but is not yet ready to submit a program proposal to council for approval, Vollmer said.

The district also spent some of the COVID-19 relief funding it received for an enhanced summer school program this summer. More and more children have the right to attend summer school and receive help with reading and math, as well as participating in summer activities, such as a school trip to the zoo.

Also at Tuesday’s meeting, Vollmer announced that there will be public participation forums on July 14 and 15 in the old Cognizant building to outline the district’s plans to turn this site into a new high school. The council is also considering asking voters to approve a bond issue this fall to pay for this and other projects to tackle overcrowding at the middle and high school levels.

The latest news of the day and more in your inbox

About Homer Yonker

Check Also

Chicago Public Schools Unveils Updated $9.5 Billion Budget for Next School Year

Chicago Public Schools on Tuesday unveiled a 2022-23 district budget totaling $9.5 billion, up about …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.