The Department of Analytical, Environmental and Forensic Sciences is seeking an outstanding researcher to contribute to an exciting bespoke educational program known as the “Bolashaq Program in Forensic Sciences, Law and Intellectual Property” (https: // www. kcl.ac.uk / news / kings-forensics-continues-successful-collaboration-with-the-government-of-kazakhstan).
The successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination, design and delivery of educational materials to program participants and the tutoring / supervision of their research projects. This will also include liaising and networking with internal and external experts for the delivery of bespoke conferences, hands-on activities, formative and summative assessments, as well as administrative support for the organization of networking events and educational trips inside and outside the UK. The incumbent does not need to have a high level of expertise in the areas of forensic science, law and / or intellectual property, but the successful candidate should be familiar with the process of achieving student research projects in these fields.
The role holder will work closely with the Program Director (Dr Nunzianda Frascione) as well as the Program Administrator and other parties involved in the program.
This position will be offered on a fixed-term contract for an initial period of 8 months with the possibility of an extension of 14 additional months.
This is a full time position – 100% full time equivalent; part-time and / or flexible options can be explored for the right candidate (at least 50% full-time equivalent).
- Design and facilitate a series of teaching sessions and workshops on relevant topics, as well as generic academic skills.
- Use appropriate teaching, learning support and assessment methods.
- Assist students in the completion and potential publication of their literature review project by overseeing their work, identifying research material relevant to their project, and providing constructive feedback.
- Organize and lead weekly group and one-on-one meetings with students to check on project progress, identify issues, and set short-term research goals.
- Contribute to the design, delivery and scoring of various assessment formats throughout the program, including desk research projects, oral and poster presentations, and multiple choice sessions.
- Liaise with internal / external speakers to support the delivery of additional technical sessions.
- Assist the program administrator in organizing social events and visits to external laboratories, both in the UK and overseas.
- Act as a responsible member of the team and develop productive working relationships with other members involved in the program (e.g. program consultant, representatives from Bolashaq and the Ministry of Justice of Kazakhstan).
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the incumbent will be required to undertake the tasks and responsibilities reasonably expected in the context and classification of the position.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Graduate degree in a relevant discipline
2. Knowledge of the principles of teaching, learning and assessment
3. Experience in supervising academic and research work
4. Experience in the organization, design and delivery of technical equipment
5. Experience with research methods and project design
6. Flexible, able to adapt to changing circumstances or workload
7. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and good team spirit
8. Experience and relevant training in the supervision and delivery of academic work will be preferred over scientific knowledge of a related area of expertise.
1. Diploma in a subject related to a scientific or legal field
2. Experience in tutoring / supervising students
3. Hold a teaching certificate
4. Experience in preparing and writing articles / publications
The position is offered with an immediate start after a successful interview. Shortlisted candidates will be informed at least one week before the date of the interview. Interviews are likely to take place on Microsoft Teams.
This position is subject to authorization from the Disclosure and Prohibition Department.