TUSD Receives Funding to Take Care of College Admission Courses

New state funding with the help of Turlock Unified School District high school campuses, including eCademy, has implemented strategies to increase course completion students need to enter college .

The TUSD Board received information regarding the GA Completion Enhancement Grant Scheme and its connection to TUSD at Tuesday’s Board meeting. The bill is funded by AB 130 to help increase the number of high school students graduating from high school with GA eligibility.

“This is a great opportunity for us,” said Assistant Superintendent Heidi Lawler. “The legislation has emphasized completion of GA for students, and it aligns with the work we’ve done in educational services to put in place a college readiness system.”

The GA requirements are the minimum courses required by California universities when high school students apply for admission. These classes included history, English, math, science, language other than English, visual/performing arts, and a college preparatory course.

While these courses are necessary for college admission, Lawler stressed that the goal is for all students to meet these requirements regarding whether or not they intend to go to college.

The bill also emphasizes helping non-duplicated students who Lawler says are learning English, have economic disadvantages and favor youth. These students generally had more difficulty participating in AG courses.

TUSD’s projected fund allocation is approximately $900,000 and eCademy is expected to receive $150,000. However, the California Department of Education has notified local educational agencies that the initial calculation of fund allocation was incorrect, therefore, exact funding is pending. To receive funding, school agencies must develop a plan and present it at a public meeting before a governing board.

The bill allows the funding to be used for: professional development, counseling plans, tutoring programs, expanded course access, advanced placement fees and opportunities to retake courses, 70 % of funds to be used for student support and the remaining 30%. towards professional development.

Part of TUSD’s plan that will be presented to the board in the coming months is to develop a systematic monitoring and intervention strategy to increase the AG’s ability to compete. Also, to determine which courses are the most difficult for students to complete.

About Homer Yonker

Check Also

“Today is an attack on a law that is being broken”

Frustrated by the growing payments their districts have made to send students to charter schools, …